Loading Your Bike
- Always load and unload your bike from the curb side of the bus.
- If the rack is stowed (in upright position against the bus), squeeze the silver release handle on the top and lower the rack from its upright position.
- Lift your bike into the rack, putting the front wheel where indicated on the rack. The first bike in the rack should be loaded in the position closest to the bus.
- Pull the support arm up and over the front tire as close to the frame as possible. The support arm should rest securely on the front tire only, not the bike’s frame.
- Board the bus and pay your fare. Sit as close to the front as possible to keep your bike in view at all times.
Unloading Your Bike
- When approaching your stop, let the bus driver know you will unload your bike. Then exit through the front door of the bus.
- Lift the support arm from the bike’s tire and lower it to the magnet on the rack.
- Take your bike out of the rack.
- If the rack is empty, raise the rack up against the bus. You’re on your way!
- Folding bikes are allowed on CARTA buses.
- Lost and Found: All unclaimed bikes left on racks will be kept in CARTA’s Lost and Found and held no more than 60 days. If you leave your bike or any other belongings behind, please call 843-724-7420 as soon as possible.
Using the bike racks on CARTA buses is a privilege. CARTA is not responsible for damages to or caused by bikes on CARTA property or vehicles.